Sunday, March 3, 2013

My question before going further

I am sharing my true experience. I met many developers in my  career who told me that they learned PHP because they couldn't get the Job in .Net/Java technologies after struggling for more than 1 year or so & some learned because someone suggested them that at fresher level, learning PHP would be good. And they got a better chance even if they learn the php at very beginner level.

So, should we learn the PHP only if we don't get chance in other languages/technologies? Is this the right approach? I don't think that this should be the case.


Now, think about why do you get a chance in PHP at beginner level & why not in other languages. There might be many reasons which I invite in the comment area. As per my understanding & learning, PHP is easy to learn, good to start immediately, resources available on internet, platform independent, works great with HTML & many more.

I am working on PHP from my college days & never moved to Java / .Net because everything I think about web technologies, I found in PHP. Never ever felt alone in PHP world. Although, If you think beyond the web technologies, you should learn Java/.Net.

But sometime back, I thought that my friends working in Java had better career opportunities in terms of companies, salary packages & therefore had a better life. This thought was terrible as I was a good student in college time.

But, I took time to explore the things in PHP as compared to more respected languages. In this, my senior helped me a lot. He told me what things are available in Java to compare me if those can be done in PHP. And I don't remember if there was something related to web which was not available in PHP as compared to other languages.

Each & every language has its own pros & cons. Java & .Net were never written for the web applications as a primary objective of the language, even you can do almost every type of development from desktop, mobile or web. But, This was the PHP which was developed keeping the web applications in the mind & nothing else. 

The core developers of PHP never considered that PHP will be that much popular & anyone will develop desktop applications using PHP. 

I also admit that there are lots of issues in PHP due to which most  IT experts never consider PHP as a secure & standard of industry. But, If we go into details, those are not issues. in fact some are flexibility which come with PHP to make it more adoptable. Every developer from beginner to expert can choose their way of writing the code & perform the task in their own way.

So, it's the way of picking the code style. Some languages strict the developer to follow the rules & that is good to maintain the standards. So, its just a flexibility v/s strictness. Both have their own benefits.

Also, Most of the PHP code found on the web is not proper commented as most of the developers supports the language voluntary & don't put the time to comment to maintain the code. While in other languages, the core developers do the additions who take care of other things.

In the current web era, PHP is most adoptable language. The only thing we as a developer is to maintain code standards rather than doing the things roughly. We should consider flexibility as a extra tool & shouldn't be dependent on that.

Most of the developers don't think that PHP is secure enough to build some really secure websites i.e. Bank applications. And I bet most of them can't tell you why they think so. 

The reason again is the flexibility. PHP has all the features using which any developer can develop a really secure application but it matters on the way developer is doing the implementation. While in other languages, most of the things don't depend upon developer skills. These features are in build in other languages & core developers do the things in their own standard way which reduces the overhead & dependency on application developer. so, less chance of leaving a breach in security. So, developers who are responsible for insecure application not the PHP.

I will keep writing on the topic & really appreciate your feedback in comment area.  

No comments:

Post a Comment